Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Learning to Knit Two

I haven't knit socks in well over a year. I like to knit socks but I'm the type that wants to knit it and revel in the finished product of my hard work and move on to the next. With socks (and mitts) you finish and then repeat. Another problem with that is, it makes is more difficult to be creative with adding color unless you are taking notes the entire way. Also the size can end up being slightly off from the other one because you decided to knit your second sock late at night so your tension is a bit off.

I've been hearing for quite some time about knitting two socks at the same time. The idea severely intimidated me. It brought back horrible memories of the first time I tried to use DPNs. I almost quit knitting all together over stupid DPNs. On my bookshelf Knitting More Circles Around Socks by Antje Gillingham sat and tormented me. All I had done with the book is admire the socks pictured throughout it but this last time I couldn't resist at least trying.

As it turns out, it really wasn't that hard to do and only got easier as I went. I started with the very first pattern in the book, Women's Basic Cuff-Down Socks and made a simple pair with Brava Worsted yarn in Camel Heather from Knit Picks. Not only was it the fastest I've ever knit up a pair of socks but they looked great when they were finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment