Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Green Elf Hat

I never really got into doing themed knitting. Maybe because when I first started knitting I wasn't very fast at it and was still throwing my yarn so anything themed would never be done in time. Now that I've mastered continental knitting I can keep up with some of the best of 'em.

A couple years ago a friend asked me to help her out with her kid's costumes. They were dressing up as Link and needed warm hats to go with their outfits. That wasn't a problem and I got them put together. Unfortunately that was before I realized just how important taking measurements really is. When they put the hats on they looked like they were wearing giant condoms with a pointy tip. Thankfully the boys liked them and their mom has a great sense of humor.

It was funny but I wasn't happy with my work and was determined to make something that looked nice to make up for it. I would make a hat that was long and pointy and it would look nice. I gathered up all the left over yarn from the boy's hats and cast on, this time taking measurements of my own head. I didn't care if I wasn't going to wear it but damn it, it was going to be functional and cute!

After throwing my yarn like a newbie, I worked on that hat for nearly three days before it was finished.




This hat is for sale and available at KnitsNFrillyThings




It turned out wonderfully. The hat fit, it had character and came out looking exactly as I had pictured it. This is also probably my only example of work with perfect seaming as well. I still don't know how I got the seaming done that well, but I'll take it. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment